Woods finishes strong at Genesis, 5 off the lead

Woods finishes strong at Genesis, 5 off the lead

LOS ANGELES — The walk to the Riviera Country Club clubhouse from the 18th green is a steep one. But any pain the smiling Tiger Woods might have felt in his right ankle seemed soothed by the crowd chanting his name near the hole’s surrounding grass auditorium.

Despite an injury that still bothers the 15-time major winner as he walks, Woods punctuated his first round of competitive golf in seven months with three birdies on the final three holes to shoot a 2-under 69 at the Genesis Invitational and make his return to the PGA Tour an electric one.

Woods is 5 shots behind co-leaders Max Homa and Keith Mitchell.

“I didn’t want to be the idiot host to miss it right in front of everybody after I just went birdie-birdie,” Woods said of his birdie putt on No. 18. “It was a great round.”

The joy Woods exuded on the 18th was a culmination of not just seven months of waiting and rehabbing but also a fitting end to a round that was anything but easy. Over the course of more than five hours, Woods grinded for clutch pars and bounced back from three bogeys to finish with a flurry of vintage shots that changed the entire tenor of his round.

Woods told reporters Tuesday that hitting shots was not a problem. And on Thursday, he went out and proved as much. Off the tee, Woods was routinely hitting the ball over 320 yards (three drives went more than 330 yards) and outdriving both his playing partners, Rory McIlroy and Justin Thomas, on a few holes.

As Woods explained, the way the course is set up, it allows him to gain more distance off the tee because of the roll the ball gets, though he still had to adjust to the distance he was getting based on adrenaline alone.

“There’s nothing like come game time, just the feeling of the butterflies and trying to calm all that stuff down,” Woods said. “Even though it’s cold out here, [the ball] was going even further than we expected. I had to dial all that back in.”

Given his physical state, there was an expectation that the back nine would be tough for Woods to endure. While that might have been the case, his game improved as the round progressed. Drives went farther, approach shots were tighter, and putts were finally dropping. After making bogeys on the 10th and 12th holes, Woods made three straight pars before stepping up to the 16th tee and hitting the shot of the day.

Woods set up on the left side of the tee box and carved a 9-iron that faded right and landed pin high, five feet from the cup. The putt slipped in on the right side and seemed to give Woods the spark he needed. He drove a ball 322 yards on the par-5 17th and dropped a 24-foot putt for birdie. It was good enough to elicit his first fist pump of the day.

By the time he got to the 18th green and had only about eight feet for his third straight birdie, it almost felt like a formality. There was no fist pump as the ball dropped, just an immediate salute to the crowd that had been cheering him incessantly from the first tee shot.

“I was trying to calm myself down all day,” Woods said. “Trying to figure out what the hell I’m doing out here because I haven’t played.”

Woods’ return is an encouraging one given his health. Throughout the course of his round, he still had a slight hitch in his step as he looked to limit the pressure on his right ankle. A few times in the round, Woods removed his right shoe and adjusted his ankle brace and sock. At other times when he waited to tee off, he tilted his right foot upward to stretch it.

As he wrapped up on the 11th green, Woods also took some time to apply a cream to his lower right back.

“My ankle’s a lot smaller than it has been. I’ve had so many surgeries that the ankle just keeps changing, the leg keeps changing,” Woods said. “Yes, the shoes keep changing, the socks keep changing. Everything’s a moving target. How much I’m on my feet, how much I’m not, how active I am, how not active, the muscles that are on, they’re off. It’s a moving target all the time.”

Now comes the real test. After finishing his round past 5 p.m. local time Thursday, Woods is set to play the second round at 7:24 a.m. PT (ESPN+) Friday — a 14-hour turnaround to get his body ready for another 18 holes in cooler weather. As Woods explained, the time in between will feature plenty of icing and treatment. Meanwhile, his playing partner McIlroy said he will spend some of that time hitting the driver.

“I’m going to work on the range,” McIlroy said. “I don’t like him hitting it by me.”

Woods said so much of what made the round enjoyable was playing alongside Thomas and McIlroy, two of his closest friends.

“The ebb and flow of needling each other, encouraging each other and telling stories,” Woods said. “I hadn’t been out here, so I’ve missed some of the things that have transpired on tour, which is kind of fun.”

It was evident, at various moments Thursday, that Woods was having fun being back. It was equally clear, however, that the joy he showed after the round remains tied to him performing well and, in his mind, having a chance to win.

“That’s the only reason why I tee it up,” Woods said.

Read more